Wednesday 2 March 2011

When did you know you loved writing?

Every Wednesday here on my blog is Writing Wednesday. Over the years my family and friends have asked me questions about my writing. Every Wednesday I answer one of these questions.

So. When did I first realise that I loved writing? That is a hard question. Mainly because I'm not too sure. Looking back at old Primary school work (that mum and dad still have in the garage) I can see early on I was interested in the art of storytelling. As a child I could play for hours alone and make up stories with my dolls and teddy's. As I got older and it was no longer 'cool' to play with these toys I was introduced to writing. It was here I found my love of writing and the written word. This love is present now (if not more so). I would say my art of writing though definitely became something I needed to do after the age of 15. And not something I had to do because I needed to do it. It was something I wanted to do. And still love doing now.

Writing was my first true love. It has been loyal (if not always present). It has been an outlet for me when I have needed to get things off my chest. It has never strayed or disappointed me.

So when did you know you know you loved writing and the art of storytelling? Is it something you've always loved or is it something that came to you later, as you got older?

1 comment:

  1. I was the same way, but with singing. I loved the sound of music, no matter what. My mother says I was singing before I could talk. Writing became on outlet when singing let me down (as in, studying to become a music teacher failed miserably and I wasn't getting enjoyment out of it anymore, it had become work). Writing makes sense like music made sense to me. You can sing about your feelings, and you can write about them too. It's another outlet that lets me be as creative as I want to be.

    ReplyDelete